ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
Off Topic
1st Sep 16 11:37 PM
stripey
Posts 6,150
Quote:
Originally posted by simondo68
Frustrated, playing off 18 and have been hugely consistent to that for a few weeks, score every round 88 - 91, about 15 rounds on the bounce. Driving well and long, 3 putted once in last 6 rounds, just irons! Killing me, struggling to hit a green hole after hole from 120 to 150, always miss to one side by just a little. Grew up on a course and played off 18 when I was 9, need to sort these shots out to make the breakthrough.

Sounds as if you're really close to a great score, Simon.
Are you getting down in two from off the green many times in a round? That can really make up well for missing greens with your irons.

2nd Sep 16 8:17 AM
DonKilla
Posts 24
My favourite Olympic moment went Justin rose nearly lost but won xo

2nd Sep 16 8:35 AM
simondo68
Posts 23
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
Sounds as if you're really close to a great score, Simon.
Are you getting down in two from off the green many times in a round? That can really make up well for missing greens with your irons.

Yes feel that the good score is just around the corner, probably not leaving it close enough when chipping from off the green but that is an area I am working on, been working at the range this week on approach shots with 7 iron upwards and going to put it to the test over 18 holes this afternoon. My target is to get to low teens or better by next summer, luckily enough to be able to get 3 or 4 rounds a week in at the moment so plenty of practice

2nd Sep 16 8:40 AM
stripey
Posts 6,150
Quote:
Originally posted by DonKilla
My favourite Olympic moment went Justin rose nearly lost but won xo

I'd agree, Don - the golf was really exciting to watch, and Rose was a very worthy winner.

2nd Sep 16 3:27 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Wish I could eliminate those shanks, though - they are murderous.

There are many ways to get rid of them, I am sure you have been told most. Remember they are half an inch from a good shot, in reality you are half an inch too close to the ball.

I address my irons at the toe of the club, as I tend to reach out on my hit, a natural thing to do when trying to hit hard. Maybe you should try the same, if all the other advice has not worked.

2nd Sep 16 3:35 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Frustrated, playing off 18 and have been hugely consistent to that for a few weeks, score every round 88 - 91, about 15 rounds on the bounce. Driving well and long, 3 putted once in last 6 rounds, just irons! Killing me, struggling to hit a green hole after hole from 120 to 150, always miss to one side by just a little. Grew up on a course and played off 18 when I was 9, need to sort these shots out to make the breakthrough.

That is single figure golf, all bar your chips around the green. Obviously that part need a little work.

Mistake many high h/cs make round the green is going for glory shots and holding the club too far up the handle. Anything from 50 yards and in I hold the handle of my wedge at the bottom, i.e. almost holding the metal. Gives you way more control. Give it a go next time you practice.

Do you also use your PW, 9i, 8i round the greens when on the shorter grass. Use them like putters (i.e. no wrist break) the further you need to hit them, the bigger the club you use, keep the swing the same. Plus keep holding them at the bottom of the handle.

You'll be off 9 in a month!

2nd Sep 16 6:47 PM
simondo68
Posts 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoopie
That is single figure golf, all bar your chips around the green. Obviously that part need a little work.

Mistake many high h/cs make round the green is going for glory shots and holding the club too far up the handle. Anything from 50 yards and in I hold the handle of my wedge at the bottom, i.e. almost holding the metal. Gives you way more control. Give it a go next time you practice.

Do you also use your PW, 9i, 8i round the greens when on the shorter grass. Use them like putters (i.e. no wrist break) the further you need to hit them, the bigger the club you use, keep the swing the same. Plus keep holding them at the bottom of the handle.

You'll be off 9 in a month!

Thanks, shot 87 today but happy with it, ruined the score a little with 5 dropped shots on 16 and 17 and missed inches on 3 other approach shots that gave me a bunker shot instead of regulation. I play wristy but today worked on cutting that out on approach shots and was pleased with the results, few inches away on those bunker hits. Used putter action today on fringes and it helped a lot, putting still on the ball, aching for that sub 80 round but know chasing it is not the way, playing Sunday morning so we shall see

2nd Sep 16 7:26 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Thanks, shot 87 today but happy with it, ruined the score a little with 5 dropped shots on 16 and 17 and missed inches on 3 other approach shots that gave me a bunker shot instead of regulation. I play wristy but today worked on cutting that out on approach shots and was pleased with the results, few inches away on those bunker hits. Used putter action today on fringes and it helped a lot, putting still on the ball, aching for that sub 80 round but know chasing it is not the way, playing Sunday morning so we shall see

Good work, going in the right direction already.

Get the PW, 9 and 8 working round the fringes and it helps a lot. Same swing but different club for distances. Also practice playing off front and back foot. Back foot for keeping it lower and getting more roll, front foot for a slightly more lofted approach. But keep the grip low. Try to take the wrists out of it if you can, it is just another part to go wrong. I am all shoulders for those shots, keeping the club as an extension of the left arm.

Once you can't get to the equator of the ball you have to go to your sand / lob / gap wedges. My club of choice is 56 deg for all other shots. Bunker is my 60 degrees, can really attack the ball without it going very far, stops the quitting shot.

Another major fault of people who struggle with chipping is generally way too big a back swing. It is crucial to keep it short, makes you accelerate through contact. Quit chips are just ugly.

86 on Sunday!

2nd Sep 16 11:15 PM
stripey
Posts 6,150
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoopie
There are many ways to get rid of them, I am sure you have been told most. Remember they are half an inch from a good shot, in reality you are half an inch too close to the ball.

I address my irons at the toe of the club, as I tend to reach out on my hit, a natural thing to do when trying to hit hard. Maybe you should try the same, if all the other advice has not worked.

Thanks, Hoopie, I'll try anything. I don't get many in a round, but they come out of nowhere. I can defend against them in various ways, one being exaggerating an upright swing, but it all gets a bit artificial if all I'm thinking about is avoiding the shank.

3rd Sep 16 10:04 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
I hate watching someone shank, you think it is a catching disease.

Take heart that even the pros shank the odd one, the trick is to delete the thought out of your head, easier said than done.

Going to the range later today, not hit a ball in around 3 weeks, could be ugly, or very good, you never know.

3rd Sep 16 11:26 AM
stripey
Posts 6,150
I'll do my usual exercise with a sandwedge, putter and four balls on Sunday - there's a bit less pressure on that way. Might take a 6 as well for the occasional shot.

4th Sep 16 8:51 PM
Denny
Posts 377
Played 9 holes this afternoon with a guy I met a few weeks back. Said he has a 'mis-spent youth' (his words) and played on the PGA tour up until he was 28 before he decided he'd better get a real job and support his young family (I assume he didn't make a huge amount of money when he gained his tour card.

Anyway, pleased with a 45 which included a 7 on the last and dumping the ball in the lake on the 5th, so could have been even better. Got a couple of tips from him on my way round too which is always good.

Short game was really good today and it was the long game that let me down, which is a reversal of what my game has been like over the last few weeks.

4th Sep 16 9:15 PM
ozzymac
Posts 2,877
I'm off for a round later today. Can't wait

4th Sep 16 9:24 PM
wally
Posts 1,311
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzymac
I'm off for a round later today. Can't wait

wish pleasant would get a round in

4th Sep 16 9:27 PM
stripey
Posts 6,150
Quote:
Originally posted by Denny

Short game was really good today and it was the long game that let me down, which is a reversal of what my game has been like over the last few weeks.

That's the way to low scores, though - a good day with your short game can do wonders for your score.

Sounds like you're on the way to breaking 90 very soon, Denny.

4th Sep 16 9:30 PM
stripey
Posts 6,150
Quote:
Originally posted by wally
wish pleasant would get a round in

Hes been knocking back Bacardi and Coke, Wally. Do you really want to go there?

4th Sep 16 9:35 PM
ozzymac
Posts 2,877
Quote:
That's the way to low scores, though - a good day with your short game can do wonders for your score.

Sounds like you're on the way to breaking 90 very soon, Denny.

There was an old guy that used to play at a course i frequented a while ago. He used a 7 iron and could only hit the ball about 100m but hit it dead straight every time. 3-4 shots and 2 putts every hole at worst had him playing off 18

4th Sep 16 10:13 PM
scotty1962
Posts 3,249
I've never used a wood off the tee.

The big head has always petrified me. I know you can get smaller sized ones now, but I've always used a 1 Iron, and still hit about 20 metres short of the next guy that is using a 1 wood. I'm a bit like John Daley in regards to hitting a ball straight and with power, I also drink like a fish, so its a grt similar to how I play golf.

My short game is an issue, including putting, something I've never mastered

Lets say I'm on the green, and the hole is around 10...15 yards for the put. Instead of laying up with the first put, Il go for it, and over hit by about another 10 yards lol !!! Always trying to hit that one putting shot and go way past !!! Least to say, a few of my putting clubs have been chucked in the nearest water !!!

4th Sep 16 10:15 PM
scotty1962
Posts 3,249
If you're ever in the Southwest of the UK, I recommend a golf course called Teignvalley golf course.

Great staff, challenging course, and a cracking 19th hole !!

4th Sep 16 10:18 PM
stripey
Posts 6,150
From the previous two posts, I think we've found the perfect match - Scotty vs Ozzy's 7-iron-wielding old guy.

Scotty, get yourself a nice big driver, tee it up tall, and swing easy.

And spend a day putting for serious money - that should stop you bashing those long ones off the other side of the green.

Copyright © 2024 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game