ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
Off Topic
6th Oct 16 10:06 AM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Iv'e just read your woeful tale, TG. Well told, and hilarious!

6th Oct 16 10:19 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Originally posted by simondo68
Treated myself to a new set of clubs yesterday, Ping G Irons, Driver, 3 Wood and the best investment a 4 crossover, always struggle to keep hybrids straight so gave this ago at American Golf, hit long and straight from the off. I took it out on the course yesterday and first shot on the 4th, a 250 yard par 4 landed it just in front of the green, second shot was on SI1 par four, only hit this green in 2 twice before but yesterday hit the driver then the crossover and was 6ft from the pin, pitch park was a foot from the ball position. Early days but first impressions are that this club is amazing and could be a game changer

Nice simondo, technology does move on quickly. I can't believe how much further my woods hit the ball than my old set which were just 5 years old. Thought it was all marketing mumble jumble, get them fitted correctly and it is amazing.

My irons were second hand when I bought them over 10 years ago and my wedges must be 15 years old. I should really update them, but I love my wedges, especially my 56, but the irons should be upgraded I guess.

Putter is only a couple of years old, loved my old one but really started to struggle with it, changed the grip, tried lots of stuff. Eventually got it checked out and it had de-lofted. That may sound strange to some how a putter can de-loft? A putter face has around 3 degrees of loft, gets the ball rolling, mine had gone to zero (may have accidentally over the years abused it a few too many times - I never miss, either the hole was in the wrong place, green was poor or had an anti-gravitational field moving the ball the wrong way, or the putter was playing up )

The most important club to get right is the putter, it is your most used club. I see too many people putting with the wrong type of putter. Depending on your putting style you should use a bladed putter (i.e. Tiger, Phil) for open-square-closed technique or mallet style (Scott, Hoopie ) for people trying to keep club head square.

6th Oct 16 10:25 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Originally posted by TopGun2
That's a good tip on the grass, thanks. Although the course I play it's more about finding a level bit of the tee!

You can always use that to your benefit as well. If you slice the ball tee it up on the higher bit of the tee and if you are a hooker (we all need a few extra £££ ) tee it on the lower part.

I do hate none flat teeing areas, sloppy greenkeeping in my book.

6th Oct 16 9:03 PM
simondo68
Posts 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoopie
Nice simondo, technology does move on quickly. I can't believe how much further my woods hit the ball than my old set which were just 5 years old. Thought it was all marketing mumble jumble, get them fitted correctly and it is amazing.

My irons were second hand when I bought them over 10 years ago and my wedges must be 15 years old. I should really update them, but I love my wedges, especially my 56, but the irons should be upgraded I guess.

Putter is only a couple of years old, loved my old one but really started to struggle with it, changed the grip, tried lots of stuff. Eventually got it checked out and it had de-lofted. That may sound strange to some how a putter can de-loft? A putter face has around 3 degrees of loft, gets the ball rolling, mine had gone to zero (may have accidentally over the years abused it a few too many times - I never miss, either the hole was in the wrong place, green was poor or had an anti-gravitational field moving the ball the wrong way, or the putter was playing up )

The most important club to get right is the putter, it is your most used club. I see too many people putting with the wrong type of putter. Depending on your putting style you should use a bladed putter (i.e. Tiger, Phil) for open-square-closed technique or mallet style (Scott, Hoopie ) for people trying to keep club head square.

Agree on the putter, played at Worsley Marriott today, I think of myself as a strong putter, these greens were enormous and very American, struggled like mad reading them and on 7 holes went from birdy putt to bogey, I stopped the hinge and hold around the green today and kept it to longer distance, chipping was decent on tough greens. I have an Odyssey chipper being delivered tomorrow to try out, not sure if I can afford it to be one of fourteen but we shall see

6th Oct 16 9:06 PM
simondo68
Posts 23
Crossover was great again today as well, ordering the 3 iron version tomorrow, to me a very easy club to git long and straight and have the ability to work the sho, worth a look at this club

6th Oct 16 9:44 PM
Denny
Posts 377
Lessons booked with the Director of Golf at my club. First he's going to assess my game by watching me play half a dozen holes. Then he's going to write up a plan for me and get some lessons sorted. Quite excited by it!

7th Oct 16 10:17 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
I have an Odyssey chipper being delivered tomorrow to try out, not sure if I can afford it to be one of fourteen but we shall see

Don't waste a club on that. Chip with your PW, 9i and 8i around the green, unless in the shaggy stuff and you need a more lofted wedge.

The only time a chipper would be useful is when you are up against the collar. How often does that happen? If it does you could always use a wedge and blade it, if not comfortable with that use a rescue (I am rubbish at that, but many including pros do it) or use a steeper putting action and bounce the ball along. All of which you can try out at any decent short range area.

7th Oct 16 10:26 AM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Entirely agree, Hoopie. I like a hybrid for chip shots when the lie is very close, but the ground is a bit too rough for using a putter.

7th Oct 16 10:27 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
14 clubs is a very random number, a Brit and an American played a match, the Brit turned up with 13 clubs and the American 15, so 14 was the allocated number allowed.

What is in your bag?

- Driver (TM M2)
- 3W (TM M2)
- Rescue (TM M2 - 3i equiv)
- 4-PW (Mizuno MP57)
- 52, 56, 60 wedges (Nike)
- Putter (Odyssey)

- golf ball TM Tour Preferred X (much prefer it to ProV1 round the greens, don't like the sound of them)

7th Oct 16 10:30 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
Entirely agree, Hoopie. I like a hybrid for chip shots when the lie is very close, but the ground is a bit too rough for using a putter.

I just can't control the distance with the hybrid, I go right down the shaft but it just pings off at all sorts of random speeds and angles, clearly doing something wrong as lots of pros do use it.

7th Oct 16 10:50 AM
stripey
Posts 6,155
I've never heard that story, Hoopie - are you pulling our legs? I thought the 14-club rule was to do with caddies getting paid by club manufacturers according to the number of clubs they carried.

Driver - Great Big Bertha 8.5
Strong 3 (13) or Strong 4 (16) wood - Adams Tight Lies
Hybrid 3 (19) - Adams Tight lies
4 to 9 Tommy Armour 845s
PW (48), GW (52), SW (56), LW (60) - choose between GW and LW
Ping Zing 2i putter

I do like Pro VI balls.

7th Oct 16 10:51 AM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Quote:
I just can't control the distance with the hybrid, I go right down the shaft but it just pings off at all sorts of random speeds and angles, clearly doing something wrong as lots of pros do use it.

I use it like a putter, even with a putting grip, and that seems to help. It's almost like my first putter, which was a hickory shafted one from a junk shop! So lofted, that it might have really been a jigger.

7th Oct 16 12:13 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
I've never heard that story, Hoopie.

I wasn't there but that is what I have heard. Is it true? I don't know.

Don't think it helped when some guy turned up to a major with 30 odd clubs, he had a full set of left and right handed clubs in case he was up against a tree etc.

Doubt his caddie was too chuffed

7th Oct 16 5:31 PM
simondo68
Posts 23
Driver
3w
4 crossover
5,6,7,8,9 irons
SW, GW, PW, LW
Chipper
Putter

Chipper I may drop out but depends, if it can save me 3 or 4 shots a hole it may stay, I want the 3 crossover so something has to give

7th Oct 16 6:24 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:

Chipper I may drop out but depends, if it can save me 3 or 4 shots a hole it may stay

3 or 4 shots a hole and I am getting one

7th Oct 16 6:34 PM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Quote:

Wow - you'd be round in about 12 if you did that! You'd play even better than Kim Jong-il.

7th Oct 16 6:38 PM
pleasantsurprise
Posts 6,331
Quote:
Wow - you'd be round in about 12 if you did that! You'd play even better than Kim Jong-il.

Can you play 18 holes in 12 shots?

You're into Chuck Norris territory there...

7th Oct 16 7:33 PM
ozzymac
Posts 2,877
- Driver (Callaway X hot)
- 3W (Callaway X hot)
- Hybrid ((Callaway X hot 3 & 4)
- 5-SW (Callaway X hot)
- Putter (Old thing i won about 20 years ago)

Room for 2 more clubs i guess

7th Oct 16 8:29 PM
simondo68
Posts 23
Quote:

Ha ha ha

7th Oct 16 8:31 PM
simondo68
Posts 23
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzymac
- Driver (Callaway X hot)
- 3W (Callaway X hot)
- Hybrid ((Callaway X hot 3 & 4)
- 5-SW (Callaway X hot)
- Putter (Old thing i won about 20 years ago)

Room for 2 more clubs i guess

Putter from 20 years ago might be an option to replace as well?

Copyright © 2024 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game