ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
Off Topic
2nd Aug 16 1:51 PM
BubbaGump
Posts 473
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoopie
Have a friend with the putting yips. The claw grip solved that, but that won't help for chips.

It is a horrible thing to watch someone with the yips, not sure what you can do about it. Have you tried all sorts of wierd and wonderful things? Different grips, left handed etc. There is a pro that chips 1 handed, he is not on the main circuit, but chips ok that way. In pro-ams he has to explain to the ams that he is not having a laugh when he chips one handed, it is just his thing.

Have you tried chipping one handed? I was shocked only a few weeks ago just how much better I chip just one handed. The whole wrist action and not having a left arm mess about with the swing made me chip so much better! Clean ball strike every time! currently trying to now replicate the swing with just one arm into a two handed swing, ensuring the left arm doesn't impede my swing and just hold the club for more support.

2nd Aug 16 2:09 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbaGump
Have you tried chipping one handed? I was shocked only a few weeks ago just how much better I chip just one handed. The whole wrist action and not having a left arm mess about with the swing made me chip so much better! Clean ball strike every time! currently trying to now replicate the swing with just one arm into a two handed swing, ensuring the left arm doesn't impede my swing and just hold the club for more support.

Can't say I have tried it, maybe I should!

I would suggest it sounds like you are gripping too tight (especially with the left hand).

The grip should be the same as you hold a tube of tooth paste with the lid off, tight enough to keep hold of it, but loose enough that the bathroom flor doesn't get covered in Colgate

2nd Aug 16 5:05 PM
silkcut04
Posts 117
Quote:
Have a friend with the putting yips. The claw grip solved that, but that won't help for chips.

It is a horrible thing to watch someone with the yips, not sure what you can do about it. Have you tried all sorts of wierd and wonderful things? Different grips, left handed etc. There is a pro that chips 1 handed, he is not on the main circuit, but chips ok that way. In pro-ams he has to explain to the ams that he is not having a laugh when he chips one handed, it is just his thing.

just trying to focus on keeping left wrist firm and not breaking down through impact works sometimes but not always

7th Aug 16 8:25 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Decent round yesterday. Struggled a bit off the tee, not badly, just not well either. But didn't miss a putt from inside 4 feet which always helps. Chipped well round the green and made a lot of par saves.

Slow start being 3 over after 5, but played the next 13 to 2 under (11 pars, 2 birdies), with no birdies on the par 5s which should be your best chance at birdie.

1 over par 73

7th Aug 16 10:16 AM
Denny
Posts 377
Nice work, Hoopie. I'm playing on the big boys course today so will try the dustbin lid approach to putting you mentioned. Have also been playing that 'par 5 golf' you mentioned a while back which I've found quite useful. Will report back later.

7th Aug 16 11:34 AM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Great stuff, Hoopie. Always nice when the short game works as it should.

Denny - I'm looking forward to that report.

7th Aug 16 12:57 PM
Denny
Posts 377
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
Great stuff, Hoopie. Always nice when the short game works as it should.

Denny - I'm looking forward to that report.

Slight change of plan - playing the (easier) Phoenix instead. Will still report back though.

7th Aug 16 9:00 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Bin lid putting and par 5 golf... looking forward to the sub 90 write up

7th Aug 16 9:54 PM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Quote:
Bin lid putting and par 5 golf... looking forward to the sub 90 write up

Denny could be still in the bar, celebrating just that, Hoopie!

7th Aug 16 10:24 PM
Denny
Posts 377
Quote:
Denny could be still in the bar, celebrating just that, Hoopie!

Unfortunately not.

Had a good first 9 which included a birdie and went out in 46. Then met some guy who was also playing on his own behind me so we decided to play the back 9 together. Turned out he plays off scratch and used to play on the PGA tour in his younger days...

Never made it to the big time and other priorities took over (family etc.) so went to university in his late 20s and trained as an accountant. Still went round in 1 under though...

Glad I met him though as he was giving me a few tips and he was a thoroughly nice bloke.

Oh, the back 9 was awful...

7th Aug 16 10:33 PM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Ah, well, perhaps those tips will come in useful for your next assault on a low round.

Tell us about the birdie - always good news!

8th Aug 16 7:13 AM
Denny
Posts 377
Quote:
Ah, well, perhaps those tips will come in useful for your next assault on a low round.

Tell us about the birdie - always good news!

Short par 3. You tee off high up above the green through the trees on either side. There's a ditch just before the green. Managed to stick my tee shot to within four feet of the pin. Still a tricky putt as had to aim it slightly left of the cup due to the break but it slotted in nicely...

8th Aug 16 8:03 AM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Very nice indeed, Denny.

9th Aug 16 9:24 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Nice birdie, those left to right putts are always tougher for a right hander. Good work.

Just need to work on the other 17 holes now

13th Aug 16 10:45 PM
Denny
Posts 377
Another 18 booked in for tomorrow. Report will follow...

14th Aug 16 7:38 AM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Quote:
Originally posted by Denny
Another 18 booked in for tomorrow. Report will follow...

Good luck, Denny.

14th Aug 16 9:08 AM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Played 3 rounds this week, reminds me a lot of the film "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

Had a practice round which was bad, didn't get anything going.

Then a final of a knock-out which I won on the first play-off hole, which was good, although having to play away from the club house is never good after a round.

Then I had a medal yesterday, that was just ugly. Started well, then the wheels just fell off.

At least Denny is going to break 90, I can sense it.

14th Aug 16 5:50 PM
Denny
Posts 377
Quote:
Played 3 rounds this week, reminds me a lot of the film "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

Had a practice round which was bad, didn't get anything going.

Then a final of a knock-out which I won on the first play-off hole, which was good, although having to play away from the club house is never good after a round.

Then I had a medal yesterday, that was just ugly. Started well, then the wheels just fell off.

At least Denny is going to break 90, I can sense it.

Not today and not after only playing four holes. Sometimes I wonder why I bother renewing my membership...

14th Aug 16 7:55 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Originally posted by Denny
Not today and not after only playing four holes. Sometimes I wonder why I bother renewing my membership...

Why only 4 holes?

14th Aug 16 8:50 PM
TopGun2
Posts 568
You couldn't break 90 for 4 holes

Copyright © 2024 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game