ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
Football Leagues and Cups
« Prev12345Next »
1st Aug 20 8:35 AM
cristianzambrana
Posts 363
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry_H0rnet
Cup final day is here. Through these crazy days and the money filled game does this still hold the same magic?

What are your earliest memories of a day full of crazy football coverage? Cameras at team hotels? Players being interviewed from their bedroom windows? Local shops having window displays, rossets and good luck signs up? The whole town talking about nothing else for weeks? Journeys to Wembley on train, coach and even helicopter being filmed and broadcast? The colour, sound and twin towers?

For me the day is still important as it brings my youth back to recall the nostalgia, innocence and magic of a game for everyone who can dream of a day out at the cup final. The only day of the year I was allowed to watch the football on TV when I came home from my Saturday morning game until the trophy was lifted. I would pick a side as my team never quite made it until 1984, when the toffees got us all stuck up. But the whole day is still crystal clear and I still have the flag.

For me the day is the celebration of the game and the eternal optimism of the fans. I hope we have a goal filled game, I always hope for that, and that the wonderful game can be the winner again.

Cheers,

Harry
Yes the cup used to be so important before it got ruined by money. I think the winner should get champions League football. That would bring back the importance and it should be more valuable than finishing 4th in the league. It would also give smaller teams hope of making the champions League. I think my first memory was Everton v Liverpool. I remember watching Coventry city beating Tottenham.

1st Aug 20 12:44 PM
pleasantsurprise
Posts 6,331
Cup Final Day memories

1. Kick off was always at the proper time of 3 o'clock - none of this 5.so nonsense.

2. It was always sunny on Cup Final Day. Maybe not where you lived but definitely always sunny at Wembley.

3. Settle in front of the TV (always BBC) from mid morning. You had to watch 'Cup Final It's a Knockout', 'Cup Final Question of Sport' and 'Cup Final Mastermind'. And what have we got today? Cookery programmes, a bit of Football Focus and bloody snooker!

4. Meet the teams at their hotels. What did they have for breakfast I wonder?

5. Meet the managers, goal of the season and 'The road to Wembley'.

6. Meet the teams on the pitch an hour before kick off. Anyone remember Liverpool's marvellous cream suits?

7. Then to decide ho to support. If not your own team (never happened except once recently) then always the perceived underdog. Unless you had a 'soft spot' for the other team.

8. Keep watching until the 6 o'clock news when the presentation, laps of honour and player interviews had been conducted. (Nowadays switch off immediately after the final whistle.)

1st Aug 20 6:40 PM
sideshowbob
Posts 41
Teams would prefer to finish 4th in the Prem than win the FA Cup. That's just wrong. Vis-a-vis, the Champions League has devalued the FA cup into oblivion i'm afraid.

21st Mar 23 10:20 PM
stripey_2nd
Posts 281
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
Oh dear. Back down to earth this season with a bump.

Hoping for better luck in the semis this year!

27th Mar 23 10:22 PM
jamesimp_2nd
Posts 291
Quote:
Originally posted by pleasantsurprise
Cup Final Day memories

1. Kick off was always at the proper time of 3 o'clock - none of this 5.so nonsense.

2. It was always sunny on Cup Final Day. Maybe not where you lived but definitely always sunny at Wembley.

3. Settle in front of the TV (always BBC) from mid morning. You had to watch 'Cup Final It's a Knockout', 'Cup Final Question of Sport' and 'Cup Final Mastermind'. And what have we got today? Cookery programmes, a bit of Football Focus and bloody snooker!

4. Meet the teams at their hotels. What did they have for breakfast I wonder?

5. Meet the managers, goal of the season and 'The road to Wembley'.

6. Meet the teams on the pitch an hour before kick off. Anyone remember Liverpool's marvellous cream suits?

7. Then to decide ho to support. If not your own team (never happened except once recently) then always the perceived underdog. Unless you had a 'soft spot' for the other team.

8. Keep watching until the 6 o'clock news when the presentation, laps of honour and player interviews had been conducted. (Nowadays switch off immediately after the final whistle.)

What about the annual tag-team contest between Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy? Haystacks would be knocking 7 bells out of Big Daddies tag partner before he'd stretch over when within an inch of his life and tag Big Daddy (who had already flatted Haystack's baddie partner), in would jump in BD, belly smash Haystacks who would fly from one end of the ring to the other before exiting in a heap, EASY! EASY! EASY! Not all that fixed rubbish you get now from the sceptics

Oh and after the cup final they'ed all be interviewed drinking milk.

28th Mar 23 6:58 AM
pleasantsurprise
Posts 6,331
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesimp_2nd
What about the annual tag-team contest between Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy? Haystacks would be knocking 7 bells out of Big Daddies tag partner before he'd stretch over when within an inch of his life and tag Big Daddy (who had already flatted Haystack's baddie partner), in would jump in BD, belly smash Haystacks who would fly from one end of the ring to the other before exiting in a heap, EASY! EASY! EASY! Not all that fixed rubbish you get now from the sceptics

Oh and after the cup final they'ed all be interviewed drinking milk.

Ah, you were an ITV man then?

28th Mar 23 8:44 PM
jamesimp_2nd
Posts 291
Quote:
Originally posted by pleasantsurprise
Ah, you were an ITV man then?

I'd flick between the 2 I guess, the coach ride down got a bit dull. My favourite FA Cup final was the 3-2 Arsenil win over Manure, seem to remember Manure were dead n buried until Pearson & McQueen scored then Alan Sunderland got a winner late on.

18th Apr 23 11:49 AM
almahaza
Posts 297
Well I?ve got my Wembley tickets sorted out for Sunday, Brighton have a few injuries to contend with but I?m still reasonably confident.

Come on you Super Seagulls

18th Apr 23 6:01 PM
stripey
Posts 6,155
Quote:
Originally posted by almahaza
Well I?ve got my Wembley tickets sorted out for Sunday, Brighton have a few injuries to contend with but I?m still reasonably confident.

Come on you Super Seagulls

I'm confident I'll hear you when I've got the radio on!
SEAGULLS!

19th Apr 23 8:15 PM
almahaza
Posts 297
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
I'm confident I'll hear you when I've got the radio on!
SEAGULLS!
We?ll make the most of it. I love listening to Johnny Cantor, Warren Aspinall and Adrian Harmes but I prefer being at the games if I can.

?.off to Forest on Wednesday too. Love this time of year when the games come thick and fast.

SEAGULLS

25th Apr 23 9:26 PM
stripey
Posts 6,155
I hate penalty shoot-outs. It was better when there were replays.

28th Apr 23 4:05 PM
almahaza
Posts 297
Two games, two losses. It?s a bit like my IAG team

« Prev12345Next »

Copyright © 2024 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game