ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
New General Discussions Forum
« Prev1Next »
30th Apr 21 9:42 AM
singe_2nd
Posts 7
Tactics or squad
I might have to rethink this game!
I'm struggling to rationalise my defeat to a managerless club, is it just because it's a dead game? I accept there is very obviosuly no guarantee of a win, and in this case I'm not complaining because I didn't just like real life, but trying to see where to target my team improvements

Coincidentally our tactics were exactly the same except they were Attacking I was Normal, I based my tactics on a good result of their and had been in good form.

They are 823 ranked and finished 3rd bottom.
442 I was away
Our players are
Them GK 37 Me 39
them Def 31,25, 16 14 . Me def 38, 46, 26, 31 . 26 rated is on transfer list
Them Mid 11,47, 13,34 Me Mid 27, 33, 32, 28
Att them 24, 46 Me 44,38.
Shots 4 for them, 23 for me
Possesion 33:67 to me
Aggression 3 to them, 7 to me.

Our ratings for player were very different though
Them Me
GK 5 3
Def 5,3,4,3 4,3,3,4 (defence had a mare collectively)
Mid 5,10,3,2 5,5,6,4 Did their one player, ranked 47 literally control they game?)
Att 4,6 3,4

It seems to me that I need a better midfielder to stand above the other lesser players aroud my level. But I'm puzzled by the collective poor ratings, neither side had anything to play for in the basement division

I just want to check that a decentmidfielder was the difference and not something obvious to everyone else. Something minor rather than fundamental.

Thanks

30th Apr 21 12:33 PM
Likeableyetii
Posts 10
The game can be notoriously frustrating and at times leaves you feeling a little perplexed.

I'm certainly no expert, but I would suggest exploring different formations (what works best for the players you have already), explore different tactics (again focus on what you think would work best in conjunction with your first 11 and formation) and then I'd also refer you to the Help Files, which can be quite useful for direction (sometimes you need to read between the lines of what has been typed though).

I have only recently re-joined the game after a few years away, but I even felt like I learnt a thing or two by reading the files. As cumbersome a response it may be from fellow managers, I would say it is definitely worth the read. Also look at some of the threads in the Community, as they can give you some idea of things to try.

My advice (for what it is worth) would be to try not to over complicate things and nor would I suggest going with your 'heart' on decisions. It's a game based around numbers and algorithm's - not about a plucky underdog team winning a title because they suddenly all stepped up (Leicester City as a real world example).

Good luck and stick with it.
Likeableyetii

30th Apr 21 3:06 PM
singe_2nd
Posts 7
Quote:
Originally posted by Likeableyetii
The game can be notoriously frustrating and at times leaves you feeling a little perplexed.

I'm certainly no expert, but I would suggest exploring different formations (what works best for the players you have already), explore different tactics (again focus on what you think would work best in conjunction with your first 11 and formation) and then I'd also refer you to the Help Files, which can be quite useful for direction (sometimes you need to read between the lines of what has been typed though).

I have only recently re-joined the game after a few years away, but I even felt like I learnt a thing or two by reading the files. As cumbersome a response it may be from fellow managers, I would say it is definitely worth the read. Also look at some of the threads in the Community, as they can give you some idea of things to try.

My advice (for what it is worth) would be to try not to over complicate things and nor would I suggest going with your 'heart' on decisions. It's a game based around numbers and algorithm's - not about a plucky underdog team winning a title because they suddenly all stepped up (Leicester City as a real world example).

Good luck and stick with it.
Likeableyetii

THank you, appreciate the wise words and taking the time. I, too, returned after a time away. I was confident I'd win given all the parameters, and just seems like I'm missing something obvious if it's not a bit of randomness thrown in!!

30th Apr 21 5:44 PM
TopGun2
Posts 387
I typed out a long reply to this at about 10 this morning, only to find when I hit 'post' that my broadband had just gone down. Took 5 hours to get that sorted lol.

The gist of the original message was that I never worry about match ratings; they're more driven by form than any real assessment off their performance I think. I'm pretty sure that the match stats are also driven purely by the relevant tactical choices and preview ratings and don't tell much in terms of how the game actually went.

I always like to set up my team to be dominant in midfield if I can but I focus really on the preview score for that rather than anything else and I don't worry about the best individual player(s) within that, just the overall but I guess it's possible that one great player in midfield could dominate the game, just not anything I've ever worried about.

Bottom line here is that freak results are always going to be possible and happen to everyone sooner or later - unless you can get a 30-40 point preview advantage then you're never 100% safe. I think most people would say the best thing you can do to minimise that risk is to get a great keeper, the second best thing would be a great striker with individual defenders and midfielders having less impact because you're almost always playing more of them.

30th Apr 21 8:35 PM
singe_2nd
Posts 7
Cheers TopGu, really helpful. Hugely appreciate that. Sorry about the Broadband, nightmare!

« Prev1Next »

Copyright © 2021 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game