ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
Bugs & Site Issues
« Prev1Next »
27th Sep 15 12:18 AM
Firesilver
Posts 985
Spelling, grammar and punctuation thread
I don't think we have a thread for typos yet, do we? We had one in the old game...

Got some staff applications back today and noticed this:

Dear Firesilver,

We have received some applications for the position of assistant manager. I would recommend that you review them as soon as possible: they will not wait around forever.

It's a tiny thing, but it should be a semicolon rather than a colon.

Dear Firesilver,

We have received some applications for the position of assistant manager. I would recommend that you review them as soon as possible; they will not wait around forever.

27th Sep 15 11:35 AM
HenryM
Posts 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Firesilver
I don't think we have a thread for typos yet, do we? We had one in the old game...

Got some staff applications back today and noticed this:

It's a tiny thing, but it should be a semicolon rather than a colon.

We're going for realism and how many scouts would know the difference? I'm impressed when mine manage the modern technology of an email.

27th Sep 15 10:23 PM
stripey
Posts 6,154
I don't agree with FS in his post above.

28th Sep 15 2:18 AM
Firesilver
Posts 985
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey

Then you don't know how to use colons and semicolons correctly; it's something you really ought to learn to do.

28th Sep 15 8:56 AM
Muffin
Posts 211
Quote:
Please explain why then.

A colon is wrong in this case. I'm not sure whether it should be a semi-colon, the only alternatives would be a comma or a full stop and a new sentence. But I'm incliined to agree that FS is correct in both instances.

Alternatively reword it by inserting the word "as".

Using the colon is simply wrong.

My preferences would be:

1. We have received some applications for the position of assistant manager. I would recommend that you review them as soon as possible; they will not wait around forever.

2. We have received some applications for the position of assistant manager. I would recommend that you review them as soon as possible as they will not wait around forever.

3. We have received some applications for the position of assistant manager. I would recommend that you review them as soon as possible. They will not wait around forever.

28th Sep 15 10:56 AM
calvinospark_2nd
Posts 4
I'm not so sure. I'd say that the semi colon would be the more usual form of punctuation in this case. However, could the clause after the colon be considered as explaining the first clause before the colon?

Apparently you can use a colon between two independent clauses when the second explains or amplifies the first.

28th Sep 15 11:33 AM
Muffin
Posts 211

At least that adds to the debate CS. We do love a good debate over FS's "tiny thing".

In this case I don't believe that fits the criterion for the correct usage of a colon as an explanation or amplification, it's certainly stretching it.

Use a semi-colon when it could easily be 2 independent sentences that can be linked by a conjunction. Use a colon when there's no obvious conjunction to link them. For example:

Colon: a punctuation mark used to introduce a list of items, or an explanation or a definition of something.

28th Sep 15 11:44 AM
stripey
Posts 6,154
Quote:
Originally posted by calvinospark_2nd
I'm not so sure. I'd say that the semi colon would be the more usual form of punctuation in this case. However, could the clause after the colon be considered as explaining the first clause before the colon?

Apparently you can use a colon between two independent clauses when the second explains or amplifies the first.

That's correct, and so that's why a colon has been used.

28th Sep 15 1:11 PM
Firesilver
Posts 985
All right, stripey. If you're determined to stick with your incorrect punctuation, fine. I suppose we'll move on.

28th Sep 15 2:36 PM
ozzymac
Posts 2,877
Quote:
All right, stripey. If you're determined to stick with your incorrect punctuation, fine. I suppose we'll move on.

You lost me at "Grammar". I know what a colon is and therefore i think i'd never want a semi

28th Sep 15 3:09 PM
Muffin
Posts 211
Some threads are getting interesting and then ozzy's gone and wrecked 'em.

28th Sep 15 4:26 PM
Muffin
Posts 211
In any event, my staff don't speak perfect English.

Perhaps we should expect some emails with defective English and punctuation.

Dear Muffin,

We have several offers for the vagrancy of Deputy Director. As soon as you can, we know you check them out. They should not be gone for ever.

Greetings,
Joko Aracic

2nd Oct 15 9:49 PM
stripey
Posts 6,154
Quote:

Carry on digging that hole, FS.

2nd Oct 15 10:20 PM
Firesilver
Posts 985
Quote:

I don't follow. I thought I said we'll move on? Why have a pop at me days after the discussion finished?

2nd Oct 15 10:21 PM
Muffin
Posts 211
Quote:

Unnecessary.

4th Oct 15 11:58 AM
stripey
Posts 6,154
Quote:
I don't follow. I thought I said we'll move on? Why have a pop at me days after the discussion finished?

Because I had been on a short holiday, seeing as you are asking.

4th Oct 15 2:29 PM
Muffin
Posts 211
Quote:
Because I had been on a short holiday, seeing as you are asking.

And how is life in the slammer these days?

4th Oct 15 10:24 PM
stripey
Posts 6,154
Quote:
Originally posted by Muffin
And how is life in the slammer these days?

Blissful.

« Prev1Next »

Copyright © 2024 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game