ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
Off Topic
8th Nov 16 10:47 PM
pleasantsurprise
Posts 6,323
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
Nobody right yet - and the number changes tomorrow.

Drinks are on you tomorrow then!

8th Nov 16 11:00 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Quote:
Originally posted by pleasantsurprise
Drinks are on you tomorrow then!

Definitely - and we can start early! I'll prepare Heidi.....

9th Nov 16 7:08 AM
zfreez
Posts 15
Quote:
Very annoying, someone like that. Could he play decent golf?

Playing with a member usually gets you in at about half price at most clubs.

Seemed like it, though I wasn't really counting an or watching his score more mine

I'm not sure ,I want to be paired up with him again even at half price

13th Nov 16 6:38 AM
zfreez
Posts 15
Played at a public course today ...though it was way slower then a members course or seemed that way...
4 hours 25 mins later ... vs last week at 3 hours 40 mins

no complainants ... but,I seem to recall 3 1/2 hours-4hours is about normal ?

anyways dreadful round of 129 .... an just when I thought , I was getting semi better an about to crack the magic 50 for nine

13th Nov 16 11:20 AM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Golf has got ever slower since I first played (way back in the trendy 1970s). I still reckon to get round our course in two hours if I'm on my own - less if I'm really pushed for time. It's a short course, though, so that would probably translate into 2 1/2 hours on one of average length.

The time needed to play 18 holes depends on a lot of factors:

• The number of players - with each additional player adding about half an hour
  • The overall length of the course
  • The distances from green to tee (of the next hole)
  • The difficulty of the course, including the potential for lost balls

but also on the efficiency of the players in such areas as

• being ready to play
  • leaving bags/trolleys on the side of the green nearest to the next tee
  • not holding up play to mark cards
  • keeping a running count of shots
  • watching other players' shots carefully
  • generally getting on with it.

Grumpy rant over!
  •  
    13th Nov 16 6:41 PM
    ozzymac
    Posts 2,877
    Quote:
    Golf has got ever slower since I first played (way back in the trendy 1970s). I still reckon to get round our course in two hours if I'm on my own - less if I'm really pushed for time. It's a short course, though, so that would probably translate into 2 1/2 hours on one of average length.

• being ready to play

Grumpy rant over!

• Don't forget hitting the ball where you actually want it to go

13th Nov 16 11:14 PM
    stripey
    Posts 6,137
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ozzymac
    Don't forget hitting the ball where you actually want it to go

Well, yes, but not really that much, as a quick player keeps moving well wherever it goes.

Up-and-down round today. Couldn't hit the ball for the first three holes, but pitched or chipped and putted twice for pars. Hopes rose of beating my age over fourteen holes. Then slammed by a triple bogey at the tough 4th, and limped to +10 after nine holes, so revised the target to breaking 80 over 18 (par is 66). Dropped four more shots in the next five holes, which are all quite tough, including a good par 4 at the long 11th, and nearly another one at the 13th - into the wind with a driver and a hybrid, leaving a 90 foot putt! Got it to four feet, but missed the short one.

The 15th and 16th are both good birdie chances, being short par 4 holes, but I messed up my short pitch to the 15th and was now +15. 16th gave some hope, with a drive just short of the green, and a chip to 3 feet. Back to +14. Now twilight, so having to watch carefully. Couldn't follow the drive on the 17th, but luckily it had gone straight. Pitched 35 feet past, and holed a gobbler! Back to +13, needing par at the last. 170 yards downhill into the gloom with a six-iron. Nasty thin shot, but it got lucky and ran to ten yards short of the green. Chip to two feet: phew!

14th Nov 16 4:39 PM
    Hoopie
    Posts 184
    Quote:

• being ready to play

Grumpy rant over!

• Well said. Nothing worse than slow golf (well bad slow golf I guess)

Ready golf is the answer. Fortget whose turn it is, if you're ready and they are not, fire away. If the other guy is playing make sure you're ready to fire away straight after.

Plus walk quickly, it is supposed to be exercise so stop dawdling.

I hate slow golfers with a passion. I give people a couple of holes, before the glare and the drives up their backsides come out. If that does not work usually an un-subtle word or 2 does the job. Not there to make friends but to play at a reasonable pace.

Something new and/or high handicappers don't seem to do is watch their ball. When it is heading for the woods / long grass, keep watching and mark it with a tree or post etc. Don't turn away in disgust looking at some squirrel 300 meters away who distracted you, watch your damn ball.

19th Nov 16 1:44 AM
    zfreez
    Posts 15
    just home after , 3 an half hours at the same public course as last week...

a slight drizzly rain lasting all but 18 holes seem to speed play up?
    an nothing to report about my 121

19th Nov 16 7:49 AM
    stripey
    Posts 6,137
    Zfreez, it's time for a golf clinic! How many putts did you take, and how many other shots from within ten yards of the green?

20th Nov 16 5:43 AM
    zfreez
    Posts 15
    Quote:
    Zfreez, it's time for a golf clinic! How many putts did you take, and how many other shots from within ten yards of the green?

121 I didnt really keep a track of that ...but a few here an there chips ...I think maybe a few chips long,flat,short dont know to be honest ... a lot of 2 an 3 putts

20th Nov 16 8:49 PM
    stripey
    Posts 6,137
    Quote:
    Originally posted by zfreez
    121 I didnt really keep a track of that ...but a few here an there chips ...I think maybe a few chips long,flat,short dont know to be honest ... a lot of 2 an 3 putts

Ok, Z, next time out, keep a tally of those shots and let us know on here.

21st Nov 16 10:57 PM
    zfreez
    Posts 15
    Quote:
    Ok, Z, next time out, keep a tally of those shots and let us know on here.

hey stripey...

got the day off ...an booked a golf lesson

after an hour the guy said...

If I was only just playing now an then, a one off lesson wouldn't really help that much an to be honest. If I wanted a golf Clinic (I mentioned this to him)
    He gave me some places to to ring an find out dates an costs or himself if I wanted to improve, but he said, that requires more hours an a lil more effort on my part in the practice area (he asked, did I practice: I said No,I turn up an toss old golf shoes with cleats an grab bag an then head to the golf shop (report in) meet who/m I'm playing an then 10 mins later tee off)

Of course the Tee timed, is pre booked

If I was keen on golf, a lil more effort on my part to practice, what he tryed to get me to do.

*At least he was honest an upfront*

I'm not sure when I'll get back out for 18 ...with the silly (santa) season around the corner an with the suggest work flow from the boss ... It might be next year

22nd Nov 16 9:26 AM
    Hoopie
    Posts 184
    Your coach is right, you can't expect to just turn up a few times a year without practise and play well. Golf is just too hard for that.

22nd Nov 16 9:29 AM
    ozzymac
    Posts 2,877
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Hoopie
    Your coach is right, you can't expect to just turn up a few times a year without practise and play well. Golf is just too hard for that.

Agree with this. I find i'm getting better overall the more i play but it's the consistency that lets me down. That and taking my medicine rather than going for glory

22nd Nov 16 8:17 PM
    stripey
    Posts 6,137
    Yes - when I play badly, it's usually because my bad shots are much worse than normal.

27th Nov 16 8:47 AM
    Denny
    Posts 377
    Off for 18 holes this morning. Had a lesson a couple of weeks back and he's totally changed my grip and swing so felt odd at first. Getting used to it now though. Will report back later.

27th Nov 16 2:07 PM
    stripey
    Posts 6,137
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Denny
    Off for 18 holes this morning. Had a lesson a couple of weeks back and he's totally changed my grip and swing so felt odd at first. Getting used to it now though. Will report back later.

Best of luck, Denny - what changes did he make?

27th Nov 16 10:42 PM
    stripey
    Posts 6,137
    It's been dark for quite a long time - any news, Denny?

29th Nov 16 10:29 PM
    Denny
    Posts 377
    Quote:
    Best of luck, Denny - what changes did he make?

He changed my grip so my right hand was underneath the grip more as previously it was too far over the top (can't remember if that's a weak or strong grip?).

I was also starting my back swing on the inside which I hadn't a clue I was doing. This meant I was over compensating at the top of the swing and striking across the ball outside in.

The round was definitely a mix bag but I think I'm getting used to the new set up slowly.

Copyright © 2024 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
    Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game