ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
Off Topic
23rd Aug 15 9:58 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Golf thread
This was one of the newer threads on IAG 2, so it deserves a place here.

Bring your stories of trials and successes on the course, or exchange banter about the professional game.

Will Tiger ever win another tournament?
Will Denny shoot under 100 for a second time?

23rd Aug 15 10:01 PM
Denny
Posts 377
Good call, stripey!

(Hope so)

23rd Aug 15 10:10 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
OK, I'll start with some potential success to share.

I've been struggling with my game for quite a few years, with my 8 handicap looking more like 18, and sometimes like 28.

My three most recent rounds have given a bit of hope. the first two were on my home course, and the third on one I've played only twice before.

1. First nine in 36 (four over par) but back nine of 44 (10 over)
2. First nine had a horrible start - 11 over par for five holes, including a 9 on the 4th, and out in 45 (+13) but back in 36 (two over)
3. First nine in 36 (three over) and after a shaky start to the back nine, with double bogies on the 12th and 13th, with heavy rain over the last here holes, back in 41 (eight over).

I think I've been standing too far away from the ball, and swinging too fast. Fingers crossed that I can start to consolidate some form.

29th Aug 15 2:17 AM
bluelightning
Posts 206
Played Muir of Ord GC 2 days ago (Thursday) with my brother. Shot a 97 (Par 69) while he shot a 93 which isnt bad considering i dont use a Driver nor any tee with the 3 Wood. Had some wayward drives in the first 3 (On the 3rd, this is how bad it was, it was TWO fairways over to the right!) Still had 210 yards to make the green and it ran about 45 yards and hit the flag stick and ended 12ft from the hole, holed it for par to which is got evils from my brother for the rest of the round!

30th Aug 15 10:14 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Quote:
Originally posted by bluelightning
Played Muir of Ord GC 2 days ago (Thursday) with my brother. Shot a 97 (Par 69) while he shot a 93 which isnt bad considering i dont use a Driver nor any tee with the 3 Wood. Had some wayward drives in the first 3 (On the 3rd, this is how bad it was, it was TWO fairways over to the right!) Still had 210 yards to make the green and it ran about 45 yards and hit the flag stick and ended 12ft from the hole, holed it for par to which is got evils from my brother for the rest of the round!

I have played Muir of Ord - but it must have been over 40 years ago. I can remember a par 3 with an elevated green - perhaps somewhere on the back nine - and also a hole where you had to hit across the road - that was in the last three or four holes. I think I broke 80 there for the first time, as I can remember a scorecard with 79 on it.

Green fee in those days was about 15p. I know quite a few of the courses in that area - Strathpeffer was a great favourite.

30th Aug 15 10:15 PM
Denny
Posts 377
102 today which I'm fairly pleased with. Had a coupleof shockers which meant I didn't hit that sub 100 but felt I played okay. 33 stableford points so getting near 36.

30th Aug 15 10:28 PM
TopGun2
Posts 566
I shot 98 last week, first round in just over a year and my best ever score

Should have been more like 94 but I got greedy and threw a few shots away on 14, 15 & 16 trying to get an even better score.

I really should play more often, I'm sure I could get down to 90 or less if I played more regularly.

30th Aug 15 11:08 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Quote:
Originally posted by TopGun2
I shot 98 last week, first round in just over a year and my best ever score

Should have been more like 94 but I got greedy and threw a few shots away on 14, 15 & 16 trying to get an even better score.

I really should play more often, I'm sure I could get down to 90 or less if I played more regularly.

Well done, TG!
As far playing more often, obviously a good plan - why not do nine holes sometimes, just to keep your hand in but without taking so much time?

31st Aug 15 1:20 PM
IanD
Posts 90
One of those posts with amusement ;

My father lives in Thailand, has done so for several years now. He came over for his once a year visit and whilst over, visited my sister in Hastings. So, my wife and I visited, and spent a few days by the seaside.
On one of those walks along the sea-front, the Crazy Golf loomed, and in Hastings, there are several versions. We opted for the original, and duly paid for 4 entries to this 18 hole challenge.
My father, sister, wife and myself, then found ourselves eyeing each up on the first tee. It was a moment where you wonder 'why have I done this...' and another where the image of 'this will be easy' suddenly starts to melt. Too much could go wrong... but the challenge is issued and you all have THE club in your hand.

The first hole, and noble acceptance of the pencil and scorecard meant I was able to hide myself away from going first. However, my father failed to realise this, and was suddenly upon the mat, ball at his feet. And so the match begun.. stroke play. No words had decided whether match play was even in contention, and those used to Crazy Golf understood it was always played stroke! We had begun...

That hole was the first of, 'you go next - you're nearest' and the other comments of 'is that my 5th?' all through the 18. The tricky designs of raised slopes, hazards and hitting the right approach all leant themselves to some nifty shots seen and some grinning faces. After the first few holes, my competitive edge relaxed. I had beaten the main worrying rivals, namely the women, by several shots. That cause of concern was gone, and any comments that could have been tricky were put to rest. However, the obstacle of my father remained.

After 6 holes, I was in a good place. The most taken were 3 shots, and I had duly completed the first hole in one out of the four of us. The scores, whilst not tallied, were ensuring I was leading and with the ideal setup of continuing every hole with 'your first Dad', I was enjoying being shown the best directional approach. It seemed I was going to enjoy a relatively easy victory over a man that used to toy with me in competitive games as a child. Now at 48 yrs, I was becoming triumphant and smug, toward a man in his eighties at the seaside.

Don't forget the attire... we're talking dress sense of the highest calibre. A man who has lived in Thailand where the temperature doesn't drop below 20 degrees and has the complete catalogue of every colour rainbows aspire to. The variation in short lengths match the hue and ambience of those colours, but today we were treated to the knee length variety and the footwear was second to none. Without a doubt, the sandalls worn could not have been found in any shop outlet within Europe. Such were the features and design of the sandall, the toes themselves were amused and weren't sure of the direction they were supposed to rest. The spectacle was exactly that... my old man. I had everything I could possibly want... the man was in my grasp.

If Chubby Brown had walked past, he would not have made as much impact. So, as we continued the game, the other seasiders were amused by the antics and friendly jibes we had through the remaining holes. Even the old tales resurfaced too, in some of those moments where the father attempts to embarrass the son, with stories of yesteryear and pre-80's clothing. Each memory dramatised a little more than last heard and told louder for others to enjoy.

The last few holes played out, and granted, things had not gone as simply as I had hoped. By the last hole, we had all enjoyed a hole in one. Such triumphs celebrated differently, as another player saw his ball wander off the hole and attempt to begin the next. The jibes continued, the mood still high, but my scores were now troubling me.

That final 19th, where you attempt to win another round by achieving the impossible...we all failed.

That lead us to sit by the nearest wooden bench and await my tallying of the 1's, 2's, 3's and are you sure's... My father scored a nifty 50... my sister hit the 64, with my wife happy to see a 62 and not be last. However, I was having problems counting my score... it seemed to go as high as 55. I recounted and the look on my face showed my father all he needed. Beaten again, by 5 shots, he then duly begins announcing his age to anyone who would listen. 82... 82 he told them and with my eyesight too... his ability to tell a story over all these years has never left him. However, like his stories... before we left the seaside that day, he had gained a 6 shot win... This was back in May, and I dread to think what the locals in Thailand believe the scores were now..

Suffice to say, I had to inform him of the only come back I could - in allowing him to win. It didn't wash obviously. He knew, and had the audacity to throw the comments back at me.. 'he allowed me to win did he.. like he allowed me to go first on every hole too'...

It wasn't the course that beat me that day... it was my 82yr old father.... bless ya Dad..

31st Aug 15 1:37 PM
Denny
Posts 377
Good story, Ian.

31st Aug 15 2:36 PM
Lapallanch
Posts 11
I play virtual golf

31st Aug 15 3:56 PM
IanD
Posts 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Lapallanch
I play virtual golf

I play PC golf... nothing wrong in knowing how the game works by playing it digitally.

31st Aug 15 4:30 PM
bluelightning
Posts 206
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
I have played Muir of Ord - but it must have been over 40 years ago. I can remember a par 3 with an elevated green - perhaps somewhere on the back nine - and also a hole where you had to hit across the road - that was in the last three or four holes. I think I broke 80 there for the first time, as I can remember a scorecard with [/color] on it.

Green fee in those days was about 15p. I know quite a few of the courses in that area - Strathpeffer was a great favourite.

Yeh thats the 13th, i almost hole in one'd that, i hit the stick and it ran about 8 ft left.

The hole across the road is the old 16th, the green is still there but they dont use it (well they didnt when i went round but the green is still there and maintained). UNless they are planning on adding a small 9 hole course incorporating this stretch.

Strathpeffer i havent played yet, i played Aigas last week and we are planning on Alness in a few weeks.

31st Aug 15 7:09 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Quote:
Originally posted by bluelightning
Yeh thats the 13th, i almost hole in one'd that, i hit the stick and it ran about 8 ft left.

The hole across the road is the old 16th, the green is still there but they dont use it (well they didnt when i went round but the green is still there and maintained). UNless they are planning on adding a small 9 hole course incorporating this stretch.

Strathpeffer i havent played yet, i played Aigas last week and we are planning on Alness in a few weeks.

Somehow never did Alness, though I remember the name well. Around there, my bro and I have played Tain, Invergordon, and Fortrose - at this last one I scored my first ever par 4s (many, many years ago) and did it with two in a row. The happy days of youth! I don't know Aigas at all.

4th Sep 15 12:56 PM
Rubik
Posts 19
Cobble Hall (Leeds Golf club)

I played the course above for the 1st time recently even though I have lived within 5 miles for most of my life.

One of the most enjoyable rounds I have ever played.
We had torrential rain on the first three holes but the greens (between puddles) were still very fast.

Here is a little history but you can get the full story and club details should you be in the area by googling "Cobble Hall Leeds"

Interwoven in the history of the Leeds Golf Club is the story of the beginning of golf in Leeds. It was on the Soldiers field at Roundhay that the first golf ball was struck in the Leeds district.

In 1890, these players and some others rented the horse pastures which now forms the top nine of the present course of the Leeds Golf Club, or "Cobble Hall" as it is more affectionately known locally. They played there until 1893 when they left and fashioned a nine hole course on the low side of the Wetherby Road, forming the Roundhay Club
In 1896 several gentlemen met in the Gipton Wood Inn and decided to form a golf club. They obtained the original lease of the present course from the local at a rent of £25 per annum. After some deliberation, they decided to name the Leeds Golf Club. The old Roundhay Club was merged with the Leeds Golf in 1900.

The famous golf architect Doctor Alastair MacKenzie was a member of Leeds Golf Club between 1900 and 1910. During that time he gave advice on bunkers and the layout of the course. Doctor MacKenzie has influenced the design of many courses including St. Andrews, Prestwick, Troon, Alwoodley, Moortown, Royal Melbourne and, of course, Augusta National. Leeds Golf Club are active members of the Dr. Alastair MacKenzie Society.

19th Sep 15 10:52 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Alastair MacKenzie is a course design legend.

Have to share my Shot of the Day on here - 18 inches away from an albatross! Driver on our short par 4 8th hole - hit it well and it flew straight. Nice surprise when I got to the green!

19th Sep 15 10:58 PM
ozzymac
Posts 2,877
Quote:
Alastair MacKenzie is a course design legend.

Have to share my on here - 18 inches away from an albatross! Driver on our short par 4 8th hole - hit it well and it flew straight. Nice surprise when I got to the green!

How many putts

19th Sep 15 11:01 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzymac
How many putts

Holed it.

19th Sep 15 11:13 PM
ozzymac
Posts 2,877
Quote:
Holed it.

Nice

An eagle would still have your spirit soaring
(I'll get my coat)

19th Sep 15 11:15 PM
stripey
Posts 6,137
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzymac
Nice

An eagle would still have your spirit soaring
(I'll get my coat)

It did. However, at the 9th, I hit my drive about fifty yards right into the bracken, played three off the tee, shanked the fourth, took two more to get to the green and two putted for an eight. From the sublime to the corblimey in one shot, basically.

Copyright © 2024 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game